Table of Contents


    Henri Jasparlaan 93,
    1060  Sint-Gillis (Brussels)

    Tel.: + 32 2 533 97 86

    Submit a mediation request
    via Belmed

    For which problems

    Any citizen – creditor or debtor, private person or company – who considers he has suffered an infringement of his rights due to the intervention of a judicial officer and who wants to start a mediation procedure can get in touch with the ombudsman.

    The ombudsman does not provide any legal advice and does not answer legal questions. The ombudsman does not deal with formal complaints either.

    For legal advice, you can contact the legal department of the National chamber of judicial officers, available every working day (except on Wednesday) from 9 to 12 by phone: +32 2 538 00 92 or e-mail:

    If you feel that a formal complaint is justified, you have to write to the National chamber of judicial officers or to the district chamber of your place of residence.


    During a first contact, I will check whether your dispute can be dealt with amicably or not. I will give you any useful information about my possible intervention. My rate will only start to apply when you and the other party have formally assigned me my mission.

    The ombudsman’s mediation is free of charge


    Languages in which the procedure can take place:

    • Dutch
    • French

    Geographical competence:

    • Belgium

    Mediation request form

    Introduire votre demande  (only available in Dutch,  French and German)

    How does it work?

    If a request is admissible and complete, you will receive a confirmation that a file has been opened. The ombudsman will then get in touch with the judicial officer in question to start the mediation process. The handling time of a file amounts to 90 days maximum, depending on how complex it is, and can be extended once by a period of maximum 90 days. 

    The main compulsory requirements are:

    • You have tried to solve the dispute directly with the judicial officer in the preceding year, without success;
    • The request may not be anonymous: you have to mention your identity and your address;
    • Mentioning the name of the judicial officer in question is mandatory;
    • You have not filed any complaint with the National chamber of judicial officers, a district chamber or another mediation service.



    Last update
    18 October 2023