Table of Contents
Address:North Gate II
Boulevard du Roi Albert II 8 box 1
For which problems
The Consumer Mediation Service performs the three following tasks:
- It provides the consumer with information on the existing out-of-court (amicable) consumer dispute resolution mechanisms;
- It receives all consumer complaints and sends them to the appropriate service;
- It handles the complaint in order to reach an amicable solution when no other mediation service is able to help you.
The Consumer Mediation Service is entirely free of charge.
The Consumer Mediation Service can deal with complaints against a company that is located in Belgium or has a subsidiary, branch or any other type of establishment in Belgium.
Prerequisites for access
The application sent to the service has to meet several admissibility criteria:
- You must have tried to solve the dispute directly with the company before you send your mediation request to the service;
- The application may not be anonymous and has to include a clear identification of the company;
- The application may not be frivolous, vexatious or defamatory;
- The application may not concern a case that has already been the subject of legal proceedings or of an out-of-court dispute resolution procedure with another qualified entity;
- The application may not be of such a nature as to seriously harm the effective functioning of the Consumer Mediation Service.
How does it work
The Consumer Mediation Service will try to find an amicable solution with the company involved in the dispute. Failing that, it will give a non-binding advice.
If the mediation procedure fails, the parties can still take their case to a court of justice.
Use the standard form or send a request by regular mail.