Always contact your insurance broker, he will be able to help you.

In concrete terms, the following steps are the first recommended, whatever the damage:

The first steps

Neutralise it as quickly as possible: protect and prevent things getting worse

This is your obligation as an insured party: you must take all useful and necessary precautions to avoid aggravating the damage. Otherwise, your insurer may limit its intervention to the extent of this aggravation.

Notify your insurer as soon as possible

Many insurers make their claim forms (damage forms) available online. Do not hesitate to ask your insurance broker for advice.

While waiting for the expert opinion: put together your file

Do not attempt any repairs (except in emergencies) and do not throw anything away, the expert may ask to see even what is irrecoverable.

Take photos, keep receipts, note down all interventions, make an inventory of the damage... The more complete your file is, the better it will be!

What insurance for what damage?

If you have any damage to your home...

All fire insurance contracts must obligatorily cover storms, including hail and natural disasters such as floods that may occur during a storm.

The insurer and your home insurance broker are your interlocutors.

You will need to check whether the storm meets the characteristics required by the regulations. Your insurer may envisage conditions for intervention that are more favourable to you. Check your insurance policy, if applicable.

Also check in your terms and conditions what is covered/excluded and whether an excess is applicable.

If the damage is such that your home is no longer habitable, you are entitled to assistance from your insurer to cover the costs of occupying temporary accommodation or to cover the unavailability of your home. Read your insurance contract to find out the conditions!

If your vehicle has been damaged...

You tookout omnium (comprehensive) insurance

Omnium insurance is intended to cover any damage to your vehicle, regardless of the cause.

As it is optional insurance, the exact cover varies, but "forces of nature" are a standard cover of even limited omnium contracts.

In the absence of omnium insurance

If the source of the damage is an object that belongs to a third party, his liability may be invoked. Call your legal protection or civil liability family/private life insurer. Warn gim from the outset of the dispute because, if you request his intervention while legal proceedings are underway, he may not grant your request, if he did not have the opportunity to attempt an amicable settlement of the dispute.

For example: a tree falling on your car, tiles falling from the house next door onto your veranda, etc.

If the annex / greenhouse / swimming pool has been damaged

These elements may be excluded from your fire insurance cover: check the exact terms and conditions of your policy.

Even though the house/fire cover is excluded, the civil liability of a third party may be invoked. Seek assistance from your legal protection or civil liability family insurer.

If the property of a third party has been damaged by an object belonging to you

You may be held liable. If necessary, notify your civil liability private life or legal protection civil liability insurer.

In the event of a dispute with your insurer

Do not hesitate to contact the Insurance Ombudsman.

Last update
3 November 2023