The business counter is the main point of contact for companies. It carries out many tasks for which companies previously had to call on several bodies.
As well as compulsory administrative formalities, the business counter can offer a wide range of additional services.
There are eight accredited business counters. These have many offices located throughout the country.
Business counters perform the following tasks:
- Registering commercial and artisan businesses and non-commercial undertakings under private law with the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises (CBE);
- allowing companies to complete the related formalities for accessing the profession and completing the necessary permits to exercise their activities;
- verifying the obligations and conditions relating to the following authorisations:
- entrepreneurial skills, i.e. proof of knowledge of basic management and professional (inter)sectoral skills for specific activities;
- authorisation for an itinerant trade;
- authorisation for fairground activities;
- professional identity card for foreign nationals.
- Distributing extracts from the CBE;
- collecting duties due for administrative processing on behalf of the Treasury;
- registering data relating to property management companies for co-ownership associations with the CBE;
- ensuring companies receive information regarding:
- the procedures and formalities to be followed to start their activities;
- the contact details of the competent authorities;
- the methods and conditions for accessing public registers and databases about service providers and services;
- the available actions in the event of disputes;
- the contact details of associations or organisations from which companies are likely to obtain practical assistance.
The business counters ensure that certain data can be accessed free of charge by the public for the administrative services:
- of the State;
- of the communities;
- of the regions;
- of the provinces, cities and municipalities;
- potentially many other institutions and organisations designated by the King.
They store records. Business counters cannot under any circumstances sell the data collected during the execution of their legal responsibilities.
Additional services offered by the business counters
As well as verifying entrepreneurial capacities and registering companies with the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises, the business counter can also complete certain administrative formalities for entrepreneurs, such as registering them for VAT or with the National Social Security Office (NSSO). They can request various authorisations (FASFC, SABAM, etc.).
The business counters also offer other services such as:
- affiliation to a social insurance fund for self-employed workers (each business counter has a related social insurance fund);
- affiliation to a related social secretariat;
- completing application files for subsidies;
- support during the first months of activity, etc.
For these additional services, business counters are free to set their own rates.
However, business counters are not authorised to process certain requests that are allocated by law to certain liberal and intellectual professions and service providers in the economic sector.
List of accredited business counters
There are 8 accredited business counters.
|Head office address
|ACERTA GUICHET D’ENTREPRISES ASBL
|Buro & Design Center, Esplanade du Heysel BP 65 - 1020 Bruxelles
Site web : http://www.acerta.be/
|XERIUS GUICHET D’ENTREPRISES ASBL
|Rue Vésale 31 - 1000 Bruxelles
Site web : http://www.xerius.be/
|Rue Colonel Bourg 113 - 1140 Bruxelles
Siège administratif : Oudenaardsesteenweg 7 - 9000 Gent
Site web : http://www.eunomia.be/
GROUP S GUICHET D’ENTREPRISES
|Rue des Ursulines 2 - 1000 Bruxelles
Site web : http://www.groups.be/
|GUICHET D’ENTREPRISES SECUREX
|Avenue de Tervueren 43 - 1040 Bruxelles
Site web : http://www.securex.be/
|PARTENA GUICHET D’ENTREPRISES ASBL
|Rue des Chartreux 45 - 1000 Bruxelles
Site web : http://www.partena-professional.be
|LIANTIS GUICHET D'ENTREPRISES ASBL
|Quai de Willebroeck 37 - 1000 Bruxelles
Site web : https://www.liantis.be
|UCM GUICHET D’ENTREPRISES ASBL
|Chaussée de Marche 637 - 5100 Wierde
Site web : http://www.ucm.be/
Offices of the accredited business counters
Each business counter has offices throughout Belgium. There are two ways in which you can search for their contact details and opening times:
Accreditation of business counters
Accreditation is awarded or refused by the Minister responsible for the Middle Classes; the accreditation is valid for 5 years and can be renewed.
The Minister can automatically withdraw or suspend accreditation, if the business counter does not comply with the legal and regulatory conditions. The Federal Public Service Economy, SMEs, Self-employed and Energy is responsible for inspecting and monitoring the business counters.
The specifications for business counters (PDF, 1.04 MB) contains an overview of conditions and obligations, specifically as regards:
- Financial obligations;
- The accreditation package.