Within the framework of its hydrogen strategy, the federal government is supporting the development of a robust hydrogen market in Belgium. To this end, several initiatives are being taken, in particular the regulation of hydrogen transport by pipeline and the development of the hydrogen transport network.
Law on the Transmission of Hydrogen by Pipelines
The law of 11 July 2023 on the transport of hydrogen by pipelines was published in the Belgian Law Gazette on 25 July 2023. This “hydrogen law” organises the designation of the hydrogen network operator who will be responsible for planning, developing and managing the hydrogen transport network in Belgium.
The hydrogen law
- guarantees non-discriminatory access to the hydrogen transport network for all interested parties;
- defines i.a. the rules and procedures for preparing the network development plan and for setting regulated network tariffs;
- designates the CREG as the regulator for hydrogen transmission.
Designation of Hydrogen Network Operator: Call for Applications
The hydrogen law regulates the designation of the hydrogen network operator according to the following procedure:
- 25 July 2023: publication of the hydrogen law and opening of designation procedure
- 30 November 2023 (90 working days after publication): deadline for submitting applications to the Minister for Energy
- within 60 working days: delivery of the CREG's advice on the submitted applications
- within 15 working days: delivery of the advice of the Directorate-General for Energy of the FPS Economy, SMEs, Self-employed and Energy on the submitted applications
- within 30 working days: designation of the hydrogen network operator by ministerial decree
In accordance with Article 9 of the hydrogen law, applications must be submitted by registered mail with confirmation of receipt to the Minister for Energy, with a copy to the Directorate-General for Energy of the FPS Economy, SMEs, Self-Employed and Energy and to CREG.
Mrs. Tinne Van der Straeten
Minister for Energy
Directorate-General for Energy
FPS Economy, S.M.E.s, Self-employed and Energy
Avenue du Roi Albert II 16
Commission for Electricity and Gas Regulation
Rue de l'Industrie 26
Financial support for the development of the hydrogen transport network
The Council of Ministers decided on 14 July 2023 to make 250 million euros available to the hydrogen network operator
- for the construction of a hydrogen connection with Germany
- the development of the hydrogen transport network in and between the industrial clusters of Ghent, Antwerp, Mons, Charleroi and Liège
The hydrogen network operator may appeal to this financial support in accordance with the conditions and procedure of Article 19 of the hydrogen law. In no case may this grant exceed 50% of the total