NANDO – The database of Notified Bodies
Under the European Directives on technical harmonisation, certain bodies are responsible for assessing the conformity of the products covered by these ‘New Approach’ Directives.
These bodies are accredited by the Member States of the European Union and then notified to the European Commission and to the other member states. This is why they are called notified bodies.
The NANDO database lists all Notified Bodies for these Directives.
The purpose of NANDO
The NANDO database is highly important for:
- companies, which can search a list of notified bodies that can assess the conformity of their products;
- the public authorities responsible for market supervision;
- consumers, to check that a product with CE marking has been certified by a competent body as conforming to essential health and safety requirements.
The role of the FPS Economy
The FPS Economy manages the NANDO database for Belgium, where the details of the notified bodies are listed by the Belgian public authorities.
Most of these bodies have been accredited by BELAC.
How is a body notified?
A Belgian authority responsible for notifying bodies under a New Approach Directive should provide the following information:
- the Directive concerned;
- the full name of the notified body and its short name if applicable;
- the postal address of the body;
- the telephone and fax numbers of the body;
- the e-mail address of the body;
- the website of the body;
- the name of a general contact person at the body and their e-mail address and telephone number;
- where applicable, the expiry date of the validity of the previous notification;
- the type(s) of BELAC accreditation affected by the notification (EN 45001/EN 17025 – EN 45004/EN 17020 – EN 45011 – EN 45012/EN 17021 – EN 45013/EN 17024);
- in the absence of accreditation, a detailed explanation of how the authority assessed the competences of the body it wishes to notify;
- the list of products or product families, the conformity evaluation procedures and the annexes affected by the notification.
For expediency, it is advisable to send this information by e-mail.
Renewal of a notification
The notifying authorities should renew the notification before expiry of the validity date of the previous notification. Otherwise, the notified body will automatically be deleted from NANDO.
To this end, the NANDO contact point of the FPS Economy sends a reminder e-mail to the notifying authority around 3 months before the expiry of the validity of notification of a body.