Prices, specifications and price reduction adverts
- You would like to buy a product but the price is not indicated in the product’s immediate vicinity or on the product itself.
- The price of the product stated on the shelf does not match the price at the checkout. According to the shop assistant, you have to pay the barcode price at the checkout.
- Only the selling price of the product is mentioned on a flyer or in your supermarket, not the per unit of measurement price.
- You would like to buy an electronic device. At the checkout, it transpires that the price was not inclusive of all taxes and/or this was not mentioned on the label affixed to the shelf where the device was on sale.
- You get a quote for repairing your roof. The service provider sends you the quote stating the total price. It then transpires that this price did not include VAT.
- You walk past a window showing the notice ‘20% off everything’. You go into the shop and see that all the clothes show only one price. It is not stated anywhere in the shop whether this price includes the reduction.
- You receive a flyer through your letter box containing price reduction adverts. The start date of the price reduction is not mentioned anywhere
You can find legislation on the labelling of prices and price reductions in Articles 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 20, 21 in the Law of 6 April 2010 on market practices and consumer protection and in the Royal Decree of 30 June 1996 on the labelling of prices of products and services on purchase orders
Want to find out more about this subject?
Want to submit a complaint?
If when purchasing a product or service you are given incorrect or ambiguous information about its price or a price reduction, you can submit a complaint to the Directorate-General Enforcement and Mediation.
Disputes and complaints
- Loi du 6 avril 2010 relative aux pratiques du marché et à la protection du consommateur (MB 12.04.2010)
- Arrêté royal du 30 juin 1996 relatif à l'indication du prix des produits et des services et au bon de commande (MB du 30.07.1996)